Click to add text...
Interior Gloria Dei
The church contains many elements with historical significance. The massive Swedish-style baptismal font was crafted in 1731 and is one of the oldest fonts still in use in the country. Hanging from the ceiling are models of the two ships that brought the first Swedish colonists to these shores, the [ Kalmar Nyckel ] and the Fogel Gryp. The chandelier was given to the church by the famous artist, Carl Milles.
A wood carving of the angel Gabriel also hangs from the ceiling and is an exact replica of the 11th century original in Gothenburg, Sweden.
A wood carving that was brought from Sweden prior to 1646 depicts two cherubs with wings spreading over the bible; written in Swedish, the bible reads, "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light, those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined. Glory to God in the highest."
The Stained Glass Window
The only stained glass window in the church building (situated above the pulpit) was created in the mid 1800's in an American studio for Carver and Hall, the contractors for the 1846 renovation. This window is the earliest example of American stained glass among the 3600 windows in the Philadelphia region listed in the [ Census of Stained Glass Windows in America ] and it's one of the few still in existence in the area. It was recently restored by Kathy Jordan of The Art of Glass in Media, PA.
76 years and counting.
A time to enjoy good fellowship, food, an remember.
A joyous church season!
© 2019 Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Episcopal Church